6.10.11

Steve Jobs, Time, and the Meadow

"He was an amazing man," I said to my Littlest. She looked into my eyes, knew that I was about to cry, and a sweet "I'm so sorry" flowed through her gaze. I read the obituary aloud. We talked of Apple technologies we love, and she was fascinated to learn about the man who brought them to her life.

Through the rest of the evening I kept considering how time was not Steve Jobs' friend. I thought about others like him, who have been as a "candle in the wind." I thought of one of my favorite story tellers, Flannery O'connor. All those who, so brilliant, have died young, leaving the world wondering what it missed because of their early leaving.

Today I noticed this phrase in Chapter 4 of Sanctuary of the Soul: "time was our friend."

Foster was speaking of an experience at a place called Quaker Meadow—a place where, for a day, time seemed to stand still.

Sometimes I think such moments are a hint of eternity. Time is not really our friend; life can never be long enough. But in our Quaker-Meadow moments we taste a hope that we will live on in the mind and heart of God. And we will not go missing from the world.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Megan Willome said...

Can I communicate how cool it is that you posted this reflection on Steve Jobs at "Love Notes to Yahweh?" Something poetic there.

6.10.11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praises for such a beautiful post. I crave those Quaker Meadows and intend to go lie in one that I may rest with God for the peace only He can give.
loving you, ~ linda

11.10.11  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home