20.8.09

I Am

Life-in-One

Prayer doesn't need to be complicated. Especially the kind uttered during personal struggle. Gerald May says it good. "See? This is who I am," he whispers before God. And leaves it at that.

I say it too... "See, God, this is who I am..." It's an act of opening, even if slight.

This picture is all the me's put together, into one I Am. It is layered— five separate works merged and ghosted. Me and me, and me and me and me. It is the whole, how God sees my soul, for better or worse. I will show you each piece in days to come. The faces of me I bring to prayer...

See, this is who I am...

'I Am' in soft pastel, retouched in Quark Xpress. By L.L. Barkat.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Kelly said...

And God whispers back, "see, this is who I Am."

20.8.09  
Anonymous Doug Young said...

You really are amazing!

20.8.09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the faces of me I bring to prayer" yes... I am, you are, God is.... The poetry here is exceptional.

20.8.09  
Blogger Glynn said...

Your writing and your art are a blessing, L.L. Like shade from a hot sun. In the middle of utter chaos at work, I can come here and get re-centered. Thank you.

20.8.09  
Blogger Robin said...

each day
a new face
emerges
asking for grace
and mercy
from our God

Our God
who is gentle
and kind
towards
every
side of me

and who
hears
every feeble prayer

21.8.09  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks, words I needed today. It felt so complicated, sharing my praying post, because I don't have the structure or the learning , the Words. It is just a pause, a getting the centre. A life. As a family we don't really say outloud prayers that often , so I know I need to help them find some "skill" or pattern, or language in this area. They of course learn much being in a Catholic school system.
I prayed I wasn't misrepresenting myself, in that I feel always in conversation with my Creator, but am looking for ways to have discipline , or routines added now .
Your artwork is soothing. As are you.

21.8.09  
Blogger Andrea said...

LOVE this series. love your honesty.
...and the words...."see, God, this is who I am..."
amazing.

7.9.09  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home