23.3.10

Going Bookless

All right. I did it. I went bookless for the week.

Cameron wanted me to do it. She said I would probably balk. She was right.

What was I supposed to do in lieu of reading? She suggested knitting (I used to do that; I find it tedious now), gardening, playing an instrument, and other things I can't remember. She promised I would find something important. I'm not sure about that. Though sometimes it takes a while to discover what has just happened in our soul unawares.

I did find two fire poems which I have been looking for a really long time (one still stashed away, waiting for the collaborative touch of Kelly Langner Sauer.) I found my guitar (again... I seem to lose track of it over and over, but I wanted something to put my voice to, so I found my guitar). I played piano, cleaned (a lot, a lot and can't believe how much I could still do if I were so inclined; if you are reading this, RM, know that I am terribly jealous of your clean, peaceful house :)

Mostly I found permission.

Reading is something I often feel compelled to do. It's even part of my job (I did read a little here and there on-line, but I curbed it as much as possible). It felt freeing to know I wasn't allowed to read, as much as it bugged me too (how many times did I reach for a book, then just sit down on my bed and do nothing, while I tried to re-envision who I am through what I do?)

I didn't much like going bookless. Yet I did find those things I may not have otherwise found. So I'm thinking I might do this again sometime.

Right after I read a few good books.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Billy Coffey said...

I have to say I've never tried this. It sounds...frightening. And also peaceful in a way. I think I'll give this a try, too. In a bit.

23.3.10  
Anonymous Maureen said...

I thought about doing this, as something to give up for Lent. . . for all of about a minute. Just. Could. Not. Do. It.

23.3.10  
Blogger Megan Willome said...

Maybe NEXT Lent. I'm not brave enough. Lauren Winner did it, though. (I read that).

23.3.10  
Blogger Madame Rubies said...

Starting the Artist's Way this week, with a group. Not looking forward to the no reading week. In 2009 I gave up reading for Lent. Those posts are on my blog, if they interest you. It was crazy hard.

23.3.10  
Blogger Kelly Langner Sauer said...

this is how I feel when I force away from pictures... it is cleansing...

23.3.10  
Blogger deb said...

I like this.
and how it is the opposite in a way of my past year or so, giving myself permission to read instead of not.

I put away the book love years ago when I realized it distracted me from very busy children , exercise, etc etc.
And as someone already years behind, this threw me for such a curve.
I'm deeply thrilled to be playing catch up now. Regretting the decision for the most part, what a loss, yet so fully alive it's okay. Mostly. I still feel so "out of the loop".

24.3.10  
Blogger Monica Sharman said...

Kinda neat to mix things up a bit, huh?

24.3.10  
Blogger ELK said...

i love finding permission .

2.4.10  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home